Thursday, March 27, 2008

I am officially obsessed- Dancing With The Stars


So I don't know what it is about this show. The glitter. The music. The dancing. But I LOVE it. If you've ever caught an episode you know what Dancing With The Stars is all about. A celebrity is paired with a professional dancer and every week the pair performs a different dance. Like I said I am a big fan of DWTS but when I think critically about it (as I should), I realize I have one big problem with it. Can you guess what it is....?

The gender roles! The men are macho and suave. The women are sexy and elegant. (Depending on the dance.) Now I know. I know. That doesn't sound so bad, does it? No. But consider this- DWTS is considered a "family show" since it is on ABC during PrimeTime. So children are watching the show and being taught that women should shake their booties and wear skimpy, sequined clothing? The host, Tom Bergeron, often jokes about how scantily-clad the performers, particularly the women are and how everyone seems to have a fake tan. I wonder, does that make it ok? Kind of like they recognize how ridiculous the "ballroom world" is and by doing that their hope is that viewers realize the sequins, heels, etc. are just part of the performance? I don't know. Maybe.

Image from
www.celebrityroyale.com/category/edyta-sliwinska/

No comments: