So in class we were talking about ads on TV and it was mentioned that most ads are aimed at a particular gender. And the product of the ad usually determines which gender. For example, dish washing detergent or laundry detergent ads are for women. Trash bag and beer ads are for men. True?
Well, I have been paying attention to ads more when I watch TV and I have discovered it is true! Of course there are exceptions. But for the most part this generalization of this product is for men and this one is for women is true. Kind of sad, huh? I know though, that the whole point of advertising is to know your audience. So the companies would probably argue that the beer ads are aimed at men, because the majority of their consumers are men. I know this is probably true, but I just hate how it perpetuates gender roles. Women take out the trash and drink beer!!
Check out this classic Budweiser commercial that is obviously targeted at men.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment