Saturday, April 5, 2008

Hallmark Cards

My mother is a frequent shopper at Hallmark. And I guess I have inherited a love for Hallmark cards. I actually get a kick out of going to the Hallmark store and looking at the cards. I am weird. I know. Well anyway, in the past few years I've noticed a kind of new trend in cards in general, Hallmark cards included. A lot feature photos. Pictures of real people as the cover of the card. I like these ones because they often feature cute kids or funny scenes like old women in bathing suits. But the other day I had a realization. Most of these cards with photos (or at least the ones I've seen) feature WHITE people. Yep. That's right. Hmmm..... I can't find a picture online of what I am talking about, but next time you are in a Hallmark store check it out. Most of the cards with photos of people for birthdays, just because, etc. feature white people. I wonder, has anyone complained about this? Anddddd another realization there is a special line obviously aimed at African-Americans called Mahogany. You can see an example of these on a page with free E-cards here.

No comments: