
I have a complaint... often in class we have discussed the representation of African-Americans in media and often I wonder what it is like for my black classmates to talk about that? I mean yeah, we talk about how white people are represented, but not as much. So, I thought I'd put myself in their shoes for a moment. I want to discuss white women in media today. I am frustrated with how white women are portrayed in movies, specifically in urban settings. I feel like they are usually in one of two lights- #1- Oh my gosh. I am in the city and I am so scared. I have no idea what to do or how to handle myself. or #2- I am going to come in and change everything. I am going to make your lives better. Two movies that present these images come to mind- Save the Last Dance and Freedom Writers. I am frustrated by this! I am not saying that I am like this amazingly street smart white girl, but I went to an inner city high school. I have spent a lot of time in and near Pittsburgh and Philly. I am comfortable with being in the city and it seems like I don't often see that in the media. Just a thought.
Image from http://www.allmoviephoto.com/photo/2001_save_the_last_dance_007.html
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment