Thursday, February 28, 2008

ONCE- an amazing movie

Ok so I want to start off by saying if you haven't already seen the movie Once, you definitely need to. It is just amazing. A beautiful piece of art with sweet music. If you watched the Oscars you may have noticed that Once won Best Original Song. The film's stars (who are actually musicians) Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova got up to accept their award. Glen gave a quick, humble thank you (definitely within the limit that most winners get before the music comes in) and then Marketa moved up to the mic to speak BUT SHE GOT CUT OFF! She didn't get to say a word. The music came in and so she and Glen walked off stage. When I saw this occur I was so pissed. I went all feminist- oh my gosh! I can't believe that just happened! They cut her off! That is ridiculous! What a display of masculinity and power! Yadda yadda. I think I was doubly pissed because it wasn't just any woman that got cut off, it was Marketa Irglova- star of my current favorite film. BUT the Oscars saved themselves because guess what? They let her come back and give her acceptance speech. Which was beautiful and made me cry. You can check out how it all went down for yourself. Check it out here on YouTube. (Sorry I can't post the actual video here.)

Ok so yes, I realize I can't really say Marketa got cut off because she was a woman. But I have to wonder, if she was the first to speak would Glen have gotten cut off???

No comments: