So we've been talking in class about identity. What is it? How do we attain our identities? Is who I am something I learn or is it something I am born with? We tried to define identity and it was harder than I expected! Here were some of the answers: sense of self, outward appearance and inward appearance, personality, biological traits and learned traits, character. Basically there are two ways to view gender identity- 1) biological determinism- you are born a certain way 2) social construction- your environment affects who you are. I, personally, subscribe to the view of the social constructivists. It is obvious to me that we are who we are because of how we are raised, the people we meet and interact with, the culture and social norms we observe, etc.
Ok so I started thinking about myself. And my identity and I had to ask the question- what role has the media played in the construction of my identity? I want to say none, but we all know that is a lie! I played with Barbies as a little girl, did that make me girly? I also took dance lessons. I remember getting a plastic Fisher- Price kitchen for Christmas one year- did that teach me that women are supposed to be nurturers and take care of people by cooking for them? As a teen I had a subscription to Seventeen and a couple other magazines. Did reading them affect my idea of what a teenage girl should be? Obviously, there are no certain answers for these questions. And don't worry, I am not going to go all media effects on you and say oh my gosh the media has totally shaped my identity. BUT I do think the media I've experienced has shaped how I see myself and it has definitely helped to teach me the expectations of society. For example, I remember being in middle school and watching Dawson's Creek. I loved that show because it featured characters a little older than myself. Approaching high school, I was fascinated by it and wanted to see how high school kids acted. But I also remember I eventually stopped watching it because a lot of the characters started having sex and as a new Christian I knew that didn't go in line with what I was learning at youth group.
So, no big conclusions. Just some thoughts regarding my life and the media I experienced growing up. Do you need help finding out who you are? Maybe these quizzes from Teen magazine's website can help you. Hahaha
Are You a Flirt?
What's Your Career Destiny?
Do You Love Your Body?
Here are my results (if you were wondering):
Are You a Flirt? -Just Enough Flirt "you've got the ammunition it takes to be a flirt but you're responsible with your weapon. You're good like that."
What's Your Career Destiny?- Mostly Bs "You'd do well in jobs that require active 'doing' and offer immediate, tangible awards. Think about jobs in medicine, engineering, choreography, or law enforcement."
Do You Love Your Body?- Mostly As "There's an old song 'I Enjoy Being a Girl,' and it looks like you certainly do. Tall, short, small-boobed, or big-hipped, you enjoy (and flaunt) what Mother Nature gave you. Be careful not to strive for ultimate perfection, though. Those picture-perfect celebs have stylists and big-time plastic surgery, and are airbrushed to the max. Make sure your goals are realistic and let it all hang out!" Wow. I could say so much about that little blurb. Does anyone else find it ironic that a magazine that constantly features celebs that have achieved ultimate perfection is telling its readers not to try to attain it!?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment